Friday, August 21, 2020

Work in Progress: The Matriarchy

So, here's what I'm working on today.

Awhile back I saw a poster with a phrase I liked -- "The Matriarchy Is Coming."  I immediately wanted to steal that, and imagined it as the center of a delicate little embroidery piece, maybe an antique handkerchief.  But mulling it over, I decided it would be more fun to make it part of a small series of feminist textile pieces, mildly threatening in theme but nicely girly in execution.  I imagined that phrase in hot pink letters on a stark background with lounging, ghostly guys in black suits.  As I worked, however, I hated it.  Slowly it evolved:  the ghostly men in black suits became vintage men from old knitting catalogs and W Magazine.  Black images became sepia images, and then, unhappy with that, I started adding hints of color with watercolor pencils.  After trying out six (yes!) different letter colors, the hot pink (cheesy!) finally became light gray, barely visible lettering  And that's where we are now.  The fabric images are sewed/glued on the tea-dyed background, coloring is complete (I think) and I'm adding embroidery touches.  And maybe tiny buttons.  And...




No comments:

Post a Comment