Monday, May 18, 2020

Sometimes

“Sometimes” is a unique artist’s book I created earlier this year from a repurposed binder and plexiglass panels.  The panel images are heat-transferred, and some of the panels have additional images printed on tissue paper adhered to the reverse.  The book is bound accordion-style with hemp twine.

This book is about process.  I wanted to make a book with transparent pages.  And I wondered if I could heat transfer images with a household iron onto plexiglass.  The more I thought about it, however, the more likely it seemed that the whole effort would end in a Major Fail of melted plexi.  So, I procrastinated for a long, long time.  Years.  Eventually, however, I got tired of worrying about what might happen and plugged in my iron.  When I finished I did have a LOT of melted plexi…but I also had some interesting pages.  It’s not what I planned, but I like what I got.

So, this little book is a reminder:  maybe just stop worrying and give it a go: 

Sometimes you just have to try it.
Even if you know it won’t work.








No comments:

Post a Comment